In a statement released on the occasion of ENNHRI’s General Assembly Meeting on 6 March 2017, European NHRIs call for solidarity with the countries whose refugee reception and protection mechanisms are under pressure and express concern about push-backs at borders.
ENNHRI members urge EU member... Read more
Freedom of movement is both a human right and a fundamental freedom, which impacts on the enjoyment of many other human rights. The Working Group members work to strengthen regional and international cooperation in the field and increase their impact on relevant policy, legislation and jurisprudence. The Working Group also facilitates engagement with regional mechanisms on asylum and migration issues and provides support to members in addressing the challenges they face in this area.
- Protecting the rights of migrants ©Gustave Deghilage / Flickr
The Working Group has worked on issues such as: migrants’ reception and detention conditions, forced returns, statelessness, undocumented migrants or the EU Recast Directives on asylum. Raising awareness of the shared responsibility in the promotion and protection of the rights of migrants and refugees and obtaining a strong commitment to strengthen cooperation in the field are the main goals of the Working Group members.
ENNHRI Recent statements and position on asylum and migration
- Coming together to Promote and Protect Human Rights – ENNHRI statement calls for European Solidarity in the field of Migration at the General Assembly in Geneva, 6 March 2017
- ENNHRI Statement on migration at the General Assembly (March 2016)
- Statement on Mediterranean sea tragedies (April 2015)
- Declaration on the Protection and Promotion of the Rights of Refugees and Migrants - “The Belgrade Declaration”(November 2015)
Other statements and declarations
- Statement by the Global Alliance of National Human Rights Institutions (GANHRI) on the occasion of the United Nations Summit for Refugees and Migrants
(New York, 19 September 2016)
- Tirana Declaration on the occasion of the High Level Conference "Challenges of Ombudsman Institutions with respect to Mixed Migratory Flows" (7-8 September 2016, Tirana, Albania)